Home

Friday, July 29, 2011

Vintage Sheet Baby Quilt





Dude's friend at work wife is pregnant with their first child. They are even more "hippy" than I am...inasmuch as they are not finding out the sex of the baby, will be using cloth diapers, etc.


They've decided to throw a baby shower, but have told everyone not to bring presents (??).


I of course decided that a baby quilt was in order, and it needed to be as gender-neutral as possible.


What better fabric to make it out of than my vintage sheet scraps from this quilt? Recycled fabric! Totally Hippy!


The whole quilt is made from the sheet scraps and 2 pieces of vintage fabric from my mother and grandmother.


The backing came from a king size comforter given to me along with a king size headboard and mattress that my parents now use.


The comforter had a big rip from one side to the middle, but there was quite a bit of usable fabric left. Perfect for a recycled fabric quilt!


I had fun quilting a different design into each border square. The center squares are wonky 9-patches, so I used wonky stars to quilt each of them with.


The pattern itself is adapted from Vickie Eapen's Wonky Nine-Patch Quilt out of Moda's new Fresh Fabric Treats book.


The original design has solid color squares for the border. My scraps weren't big enough for solid squares, so I adapted them to the 2 rectangles. Also, the sizing was cut down to 6"
squares for my quilt.


And here she/he is, all wrapped up with left-over binding and ready to present to the new-to-be parents! I love baby quilts!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Steff! It's one of my favorites. The quilting is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I think they'll appreciate it, being that it's all vintage. My question is, did you use cloth diapers on your boys?? Even though I'm all for recycling and conserving, helping my mom clean poopy cloth diapers was enough to make me stay far away from them when I had my own babies! Ewwwww!

    ReplyDelete