Home

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Vintage Bread Box

I received an old wooden bread box from my neighbor awhile ago. I didn't remember to take a 'before' picture, but it looked a lot like the first image without the sunflower glass and wheat imprint at the top. (plain plexiglass instead)



It was at least 20 years old, and covered in grime.

So of course I had to cute-ify it!

First I pulled the plexiglass out and the hinged door off.

Then I cleaned the thing and painted it black.

After letting it dry, I distressed the paint, then brushed a dark stain on the distressed marks.

I also replaced the old nasty wooden knob with the cool iron red one.
The original hinges were actually good enough looking to keep.

For a month or so, it's been sitting on my counter with no glass or tin, serving as our bread box.

I tried looking for a sheet of tin to punch on, but had a hard time locating one. Home Depot and Lowe's just had sheet metal (too heavy and too expensive.. try $20 on up), and Michaels didn't have anything close.

I was at Lowe's build and grow with the kids a couple of weeks ago, and we walked down the heater isle to exit the store... duh! a flat piece of heater vent stuff! Big enough to make a magnet board for Dudley's office and enough left over for 2 bread box's (if I had another one to do!) And the cost? About $7. Not bad!

So, after searching the web for punched tin inspiration, I created this yesterday. I used a good ol' hammer and nail.

Not perfect, but not bad for a first attempt!

Much cuter on the counter now too...

1 comment:

  1. Very cute! Not all colors of black are created equal - was it plain black, or some other "shade" of black? I'm asking because it looks like a warm shade. I painted some frames black not long ago with plain black paint, but I had to start again because they turned out too "cold" looking - I added some brown to warm it all up.

    ReplyDelete