Home

Saturday, June 25, 2011

D.I. Finds


Oh a thrifting we will go... a thrifting we will go...

I took the kids to our local thrift store (Deseret Industries or the D.I.) yesterday.

I managed to get the kids each 3 pair of swim trunks ($3 each!), a t-shirt each (for a freezer paper stencil project I'm planning... stay tuned) and 2 1/2 toys each.


As for myself, I scored and found 5 shirts that fit well & that I love, as well as this darling shirt that is 2 sizes too small for me. But I loved the style and print so much I had to have it anyway.


I'm thinking about opening the side seams and sewing in a bandana print that matches the red/magenta in the print. Or make something else out of it all together. We shall see...


I also found this black paisley shirt. It had a beaded yoke that was way too heavy for the lightweight cotton fabric. (Did you WANT to see my belly button when I wear the shirt? I think not)


So I spent over an hour unpicking all the little beads except for the very bottom row. Little round white beads spaced about 1/2" apart from each other. Then I removed all the little threads and knots, and washed the shirt.


You can't even tell the beads were there originally! I wore it all day today, and totally love it! Very nice, very light weight summer top!


You probably won't see any of the other shirts, since I'm not modifying them at all... we'll see..



Anyway, the clothing, (6 women's tops, 6 boys swimsuits, 1 man's t-shirt, and 2 boys t-shirts) the five toys, two 8x10 picture frames, and a neat redwood tray with a block print on it cost me $60. Not bad!

1 comment:

  1. I want to see the tray too! When you buy cool stuff, you can't just talk about it, you have to show it!

    ReplyDelete